Reading Notes: Andersen Fairy Tales, Unit B

Today I continued with my Andersen fairy tales readings. This unit was actually just one long story (the tale of the Little Mermaid), which was lovely with its incredible description and details. Here are my thoughts on the six-part story from this Unit B reading: 

The mermaid by Edmund Dulac.
Source: Wikipedia.
The Little Mermaid

This story is very beautiful but terribly sad (the only version I've ever seen/known is the Disney story, which has a far happier ending than this). I think it could easily be changed into a series of diary entries from the little mermaid that might accurately convey her teenage curiosity and angst, but also give readers glimpses of her thought process beyond those emotions (especially what's going on in her mind for her to sacrifice her entire life and happiness to be with the prince). It can also function as a narration device when she eventually loses her voice. I would certainly want to shorten the story — it has detail that's almost slightly overwhleming/unnecessary at times, but I would definitely cut it down for my retelling. The ending was also a little abrupt, I felt. I think it could include a little bit more emotional resolution for the mermaid. 

Bibliography: Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by H. P. Paull (1872).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a journalist

Week 13 story: Scrapefoot