Week 13 story: Scrapefoot








Anchor: "Aaaand welcome back to Forest News at Five. We've got breaking news for you about a crime in our forest that will make you lock your doors tonight. For more, we go to the scene with reporter Lucy Lion."

Lucy: "I'm here at the three bears' castle with some truly startling news. In a neighborhood most assumed to be safe, the bears have seen otherwise today. Let's hear from the bear family now on the disturbing occurrence that took place here just hours ago."

Mother bear: "It was terrifying. When we got back from our wonderful afternoon picnic, I realized our castle's front door was open just a crack, and that's where the trouble started." 

Father bear: "When we walked in, I saw my son's chair was all broken down and clearly sat in, but that was only the beginning of what this hooligan did to our beautiful home."

Lucy: "The three bears report that on returning home, they found out that not only had someone sat on their chairs and broken the smallest one— the intruder had ventured into their kitchen. Here in this shot of the bear family's kitchen, you can see their regular saucers of milk, completely disturbed by the dairy-drinking criminal."

Mother bear: "We'd set our saucers out, completely full of milk, to meal prep for our dinner. When I saw that fool had completely drained my son's milk saucer, that's when everything really began to set in."
"Scrapefoot" by Joseph Jacobs.
Source: Wikimedia.

Lucy: "And that's where things got "even scarier," mother bear tells me."

Mother bear: "When we followed the dripping milk trail from the kitchen, it led us upstairs to the bedroom, where we found the culprit." 


Father bear: "That dastardly oaf was sleeping in our son's bed, all curled up under the blankets. You'd best believe I threw that criminal right out of our upstairs window. I heard him thump on the ground below, and saw him run away a minute later."

Mother bear: "At that point we were so distressed we didn't even bother to chase him down. Our son was wailing about his bed, milk, and chair."

Lucy: "Now, police tell me they have apprehended a suspect in the crime, a fox called Scrapefoot. It appears the fox, who has a clean criminal record, told police he was "just curious" about what the bears' castle was like, and realized once he got inside just how tired and hungry he was. He tells police he "didn't mean to hurt anybody," and will be apologizing to the bear family. The bears tell me they will be pressing charges against Scrapefoot for destruction of their property, and on behalf of the emotional distress of their young son."

Mother bear: "It's just a lot to process. I thought we were the alpha animals in this neighborhood, and to know we could be threatened like this... I don't know if I can feel safe again."

Reporter: "For Forest News, I'm Lucy Lion."

Author's note: This story, originally titled "Scrapefoot," is really just the tale of Goldilocks with a fox named Scrapefoot as the protagonist instead of Goldilocks. Scrapefoot is curious one day about what's inside the three bears' castle, and enters when they go out for the day. He tests their chairs (and breaks the smallest one), drinks from their milk saucers (and drains the smallest one), and sleeps in their beds. The bears return home while Scrapefoot is sleeping, notice the destruction around their home, wake him up, and throw him out of their upstairs window. I wanted to make this story a bit more engaging, since most people have known some form of this story forever, so I changed it to reflect a broadcast news segment. Most of the original story details are the same (I have omitted the part where the bears go through each room yelling "Who's been sitting in my chair?!" and so on), but the actual format is changed.

Bibliography: More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1894). 

Comments

  1. Hi Emma!
    I really enjoyed your version of this story. I also rewrote this story so it was interesting to see someone else's take on such a classic story that most everyone knows. I like how you chose to make this a broadcasted story because it definitely gave the story a new twist. Also, the fact that you omitted the repetitive parts made the story more enjoyable. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma! I really enjoyed your twist on this classic story. I could even picture each of the bears being interviewed. I love how you took elements from actual news stories that happen today. It was like a satire on local news. I also like the name you chose for the reporter. Overall, this was a fun story to read and I can you have a very creative writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma! Wow, this was so much fun to read. I think my favorite part was the mystery involved. I also like how you applied dialogue! This made the story even more fun to read and follow. I also enjoyed the end where you sign off with “For Forest News, I’m Lucy Lion.” This was one of my favorites to read in this class. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emma! Great Story!! This was very entertaining to read. I liked all the dialogue and how there was a little bit of mystery sprinkled in there as well. I thought it was really creative how you made it like a news segment with a script to read. Very cool, and great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Immediately upon starting this story, I was intrigued. I really like the format you took with this story, it is definitely a nice change of pace from the classic narrative, especially since this is such a well known tale. Although, I had never heard of the Scrapefoot version. I really enjoyed reading your version of the tale. Great work and good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again Emma!
    I loved this story! I think you did such a great a job with it! The idea to have it be an interview/ news story is so creative! I like the direction you took in terms of the original! Overall, you did a great job and I really enjoyed reading it! I’m excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Emma!
    This story was amazing and very well written. This is such a fresh take on a story that most of us know as Goldilocks. The style of doing it as a news reported fits so well with what your major is and that you are a journalist. The Scrapefoot version is new to me as well so this inspired me to go and read the original.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a journalist